ADVERTISEMENT

Football NIU game thoughts

FlyDore03

Commodore
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2014
  • Had to watch it recorded, as my seven-year old daughter had a soccer game at noon . One game was exciting and the team's energy and aggression on offense was a joy to watch. One game...not so much.
  • A few guys stood out with their play today. I thought all the OLBs had good moments -- McAlister especially getting after it with 2 sacks, and Herbert's development as an all-around OLB continues to be a nice surprise. Davis had a good game, his upper body strength for a true freshman is impressive. Thought Cochran and Steen both did good things on the line.
  • Center is still an issue. But pretty clear after today that Miller is the best option there.
  • Even the announcers today pointed out the ILB's problems with getting off blocks. Was an issue last year, and has gotten worse. Say what you will about the secondary, and I hate being overly critical of one position, but ILB play is killing this defense.
  • In this week's version of "Jason Tarver, defensive contrarian": after NIU kept gashing VU off the left side, and got to a 2nd-and short, Tarver not only aligned his right DE inside the left tackle , but he also slanted the DL away from the left. 10 yard gain for NIU.
  • To Tarver's credit, some of the 3-safety personnel groupings they used today were effective. Gives them a bit more in run defense and some flexibility to drop another guy in the box, as opposed to true nickel personnel. I think we'd see more of it if the staff was more comfortable with the guys on the outside.
  • What they are doing with Pinkney is criminal. They don't move him, rarely shift him, don't get creative at all in manufacturing matchups with him. Someone on here pointed out last week what ND did with their TE against UGA and how effective it was. VU doesn't even try. I was raised and coached old school, where players don't speak out to coaches. But I don't blame Pinkney for being pissed, after he's been sold all off season as VU's big weapon, and he's getting 2-3 targets a game.
  • Ole Miss's speed on offense is a big, big concern for next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News