ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mason's comments (sorry, the video didn't work)

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Addressed the announcement regarding Virginia Tech.

ETSU has good defensive players and three defensive prospects on that side of the ball.

They’ll honor 20 seniors. Turner Cockrell, too.

They’ll send these guys off with a victory.

Asked about the announcement he’ll be back: He appreciates the support of Turner and the university. “It’s not where we want to be. The standard is higher. … To have a statement go out about where we sit. … It’s a strong statement of support and I thank him.”

What does he need to compete? Recruiting, facilities, understanding who we are. Understand Vanderbilt looks different.

Did he have any doubt he was back? “For me, I just try to stay in the moment. … I think [Malcolm] is evaluating everything.” Said he went on four road trips with him. “I’m in a zone trying to figure out what I need to do.” He appreciates Turner going to other programs to see how they stack up.

Said Turner has been proactive with the stadium. Has been insightful about what he sees. His conversations have been short but specific.

How does the stadium and lack of facilities affect recruiting? They have to enhance services and grow athletes.

Clarified his “waves” statement: Said he’s talking about maturity and leadership, but also developing resources and pushing yourself towards winning.

They have to stay focused on the task at hand.

How does he reconcile what he said before the season with what he said Saturday? Said that’s what he thought before the season. You try to patch things and feel good about what you have in camp. Then injuries and guys not performing struck. You try to go into the season with optimism.

What does he think his biggest asset for this job is? People question the Xs and Os and a lot of things. What he does best is develop talent and put players and coaches in position to be successful. As he continues to look at the program, he’s had five coaches move on to different opportunities. He’s got to find continuity. Mentioned Ludwig, Marve and others leaving. He’s got to keep coaches and continuity and such.

Was asked about resources and recruiting and are they close to where he wants it to be? Talent-wise, they’re getting there. Resource-wise, they’re a ways away. When he first got here, “Kentucky was just like us. They needed resources.” They put a huge influx of resources into that program. Now its’ a different program. “We’re a ways away when you talk about resources. … We’re a heavy junior-and-senior team (I think he meant next year.) Said they only have 16 scholarships to give.

The transfer portal makes it easier to build your roster quickly. But they may not understand how Vanderbilt works.

Said he takes full responsibility for not having a quarterback. Said he didn’t miss on any guys. But it comes down to developing them over time. Wallace sat for a long time before he had to compete. It hasn’t materialize how he’d like. They lost Jamil Muhammad—who probably had a chance to play now—isn’t here. Allan Walters had had to grow up. When you’re young and go through things, you’ve got things to adjust to. “It’s not about being right, it’s about getting it right.”

What is this offense going to look like when he gets a QB? It’ll look like an explosive offense that puts up points.

Developing a QB this year has been hard. He’s trying to find the guy who reflects how he wants to play.

Riley Neal is his starter this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.