ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Looking at the men's remaining schedule...

topsman97

Captain
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2006
....and the conference standings, Vandy does control their destiny.

They can move out of the bottom four (and earning a bye in the SECT) by simply winning the games remaining on the schedule.

- Vandy can sweep LSU tomorrow evening. We also need to finally win a road game.
- Texas A&M comes to Memorial Saturday. Which Aggies team shows up?
- Mizzou - Mizzou should have won Saturday. Their record is much better than last season, but I saw a beatable team.
- Ole Miss is now in last place. Let's hope we shut the door early on the Rebels, winning a second consecutive road game.

A four game sweep means we could jump (I'll start with the 12th place team and work my way up):
USCe - The Gamecocks beat us. However, Miss St seems to play a lot better at home and Auburn plays better just about all the time (Auburn won't be happy after Saturday's loss)
UGA - they still have a road game against UT & USCe, and a home game against unpredictable A&M. Losing two is a real possibility.
LSU - I have a hard time believing the Tigers will finish better than 2-2, especially with a road game against USCe. Truthfully, LSU should have lost Saturday, and would have if Mizzou made their free throws.
Texas A&M - Anything is possible with the Aggies. They are good enough to win the last four and just inconsistent enough to lose three of the four games.
UK - It's hard to believe that could leap UK, especially when considering Vandy would have to do it without the benefit of even a series split. However, the Wildcats are only two games ahead of Vandy, with games at ARK, vs Mizzou, and at Florida (they also host Ole Miss). I wouldn't be shocked to see the Wildcats lose both road games. Can Mizzou win in Rupp?
Miss St - Road games at A&M and LSU. Home games against USEe & UT. I see one loss, but I have a hard time seeing the Bulldogs lose three.
Florida - The Gators lead Vandy by 3 games, but Florida may have the toughest remaining schedule (@ UT, Auburn, @ Bama, and UK). It is possible they lose all four.
Alabama - The Tide are up three games up on Vandy, but Vandy has the tie-breaker. The Tide play a mad Auburn team on the road (Wednesday), a home game against ARK (toss-up???), a home game against Florida (The Gators did win at UK), and a road game at A&M (which Aggies team will show up). It's a stretch, but anything is possible in the SEC this year.
Mizzou - This may already be decided when Vandy and Mizzou play. If the Tigers win their first two games, then Vandy has no mathematical chance of passing the Tigers in the standings.
ARK - One would think there is no way that the Razorbacks could be passed by Vandy, with ARK owning the tie-breaker. ARK may have the toughest remaining schedule if Florida doesn't (UK, @ Bama, Auburn, & @ Mizzou). The Razorbacks are good, but a four game losing streak could happen, given that schedule.

What do I really think happens if Vandy sweeps the last four? Well, they're not jumping all the teams that I just mentioned. Way too many things have happen for Vandy to move from 13th to 3rd in the standings. However, I do see Vandy finishing at least 9th, moving past USCe, LSU, UGA, and probably A&M. With a little help, I could also see Vandy moving up to 8th, moving past UK or Florida.

Nothing happens unless Vandy wins. Just win one game at a time and beat LSU tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.