Let me just say...

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by WTNuke, Jan 10, 2014.

1. WTNuke

WTNuke Admiral
    Expand Collapse

I really understand how frustrating the last week has been for the Vanderbilt fans. I'm obviously thrilled to be getting a coach like CJF, but I'm actually torn because I know exactly how you all feel. Penn State just went through this with O'Brien. Having someone you come to respect and admire make a "business decision" and turn their back on you is pretty heart-breaking. So I extend a real apology to you that the business of college football had to turn on you like it has the last few days.

Let me also say, I have a ton of respect for how classy your fans have been in person, on twitter and on our message board. I've never personally been to Vanderbilt, but I think we have a lot in common. Great academics and high standards, a passionate group who wants to get behind successful teams. I think there's a lot to like about Vandy, and I'm cheering for your team on Saturdays. I want to see more programs like Vandy, Northwestern, Duke, etc... carrying the academic torch while playing good football. I wish you guys the best of luck and hopefully a quick and successful coaching search. Take care and go Commodores!

2. force10jc

force10jc Admiral
    Expand Collapse

With all due respect you can't possibly have any idea. The situations are not the same.

3. wbcincy

wbcincy Admiral
    Expand Collapse

I'll reiterate WTNuke's sentiments

I too would love to see Vandy continue it's momentum in the SEC and be an example of success with honor in that conference.

I do feel for you guys, we know how it feels with what O'Brien just did. Hopefully you all will also land on your feet as we did. I would also hope that you guys can hang on to your current recruits as it's clearly difficult timing.

Good luck going forward guys, there's a storm outside right now, anchor down!

4. wbcincy

wbcincy Admiral
    Expand Collapse

No offense but our programs life was in jeopardy in the past 2 years, we've been hanging on by the skin of our teeth, then the guy who was miraculously guiding us through it up and left despite numerous promises stating otherwise. So just when we were about to exit the darkness, an avalanche came down blocking the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, we do appear to have made the necessary move to survive it, but don't act like we can't possibly have any idea.

5. psu00

psu00 Admiral
    Expand Collapse

Actually the situations are very similar. Obrien kept the entire university in limbo for over a week on whether he was staying or leaving. He then promised recruits he was staying a day or 2 before he bolted around 10:30 pm new years eve for Texas. Supposedly the fact of him accepting the Texans job was reported and discussed on espn for 45 minutes before he even bothered to tell anyone at PSU. He lied to recruits and current players. He never met with the team before leaving (on break) and some say they never got any message from him at all. This was after he took the PSU job and then interviewed with NFL teams after only 1 year. The PSU AD renegotiated his contract giving him pretty much everything he wanted. How did he repay PSU? He started interviewing with NFL teams again a few months later and left after the second year.

6. parochialleague

Expand Collapse

i am not pleased that franklin is going to psu. first and foremost he will be buried in the undying devotion to joe paterno. psu culture borders on cult status. they never have understood what had happened, acted grossly destroying public property when the story broke, and still in denial. the university is one of common collective thinking with a football first mentality. academically, and priority wise they are not on the same level as vanderbilt. it is an island of of like minded (small minded) fanatics that could not even recognize the severity of the schools failure to address issues. they should have gotten the death sentence in football. the ncaa lost all credibility, how can you enforce infractions, when you let the heinous crime in college sports hx go with wrist slapping??? bill o'brien , said it all when he left. he told it like it was. the blind devotion to paterno and company will be the downfall of psu. i hope franklin stays at vandy.

7. PCLion

PCLion Sub-lieutenant
    Expand Collapse

These are Paterno people not necessarily Penn State people. They are relentless image rebuilders who never stop preaching. Notice the themes: "success with honor" and Bill O'Brien "lied to recruits and current players."

This group has no love for Bill O'Brien nor James Franklin.

Bill O'Brien was an outstanding human being, coach and ambassador for Penn State in his brief 2 years at the University.

Paterno people never warmed with Bill O'Brien and James Franklin will have a hard time meeting their expectations as well.

Yes Force10 there are people at Penn State who feel your pain.

This post was edited on 1/11 6:28 AM by PCLion

8. force10jc

force10jc Admiral
    Expand Collapse

Did Not Read. They aren't even close since Vanderbilt doesn't have close to the winning tradition that PSU has had. We have only begun to win in the modern era in the last 3 years and only marginally so spare me the comparisons. O'Brien wasn't as unanimously loved by the fans either. O'Brien didn't string this out for a week either There is no fan of any team not named Vanderbilt that can possibly know. Just like I wouldn't claim to know what PSU fans have been through.

9. Monkeibusiness

Monkeibusiness Admiral
    Expand Collapse

Maybe not, but we are definitely ahead of the rest of the SEC teams and the FSUs of this world.

Basically, you don't have a clue.

10. GulfCoastLion

GulfCoastLion Captain
    Expand Collapse

Very well said. Spot on. Vanderbilt is an outstanding university and my sincerest best wishes to the Commodore faithful.

11. PSUAschman

PSUAschman Admiral
    Expand Collapse

Okay, fine, it's not a perfect parallel. The point still stands, though, that PSU fans will be cheering for Vanderbilt in the future for several reasons, including academics and the way that Franklin is leaving.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

12. marisa45

marisa45 Sub-lieutenant
    Expand Collapse

That much is true. We built a hell of an admiration for the UCF fan base with O'Brien's leanings.

The same will be true here. We'll be watching you guys get through this. I personally have a lot of respect for the Vandy posters who did show up. They were all class.

13. EERS 2 Ya

EERS 2 Ya Admiral
    Expand Collapse

Well, I do have an idea. Rrod did it to us as well. And he was from WV and played at WVU. Hope it all works out for you. Also I wish the best for Herb Hand, he is still a fan favorite here in WV. Good luck Vandy.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

14. MizM

MizM Admiral
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If Franklin is taking our commits with him, then it's not the same at all and it stinks, and I'm not going to be "cheering" for Penn State, nor do I care to hear about how you're going to be cheering for us or feel for us. Gross, vamoose please.

15. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Master
    Expand Collapse

As much as the hatred that rolls between Tennessee and Vanderbilt, we do know what this feels like. We had freaking Lane Kiffin leave in the middle of the night and Orgeron was recruiting our EE commits to USC before his resignation arrived. These late departures severely leave schools scrambling to pick up the ashes. Hopefully your AD won't try and get a Derek Dooley calibur to replace CJF. Good luck on your search and see you in November in Nashville.

16. Ghost of Spaceheater

Expand Collapse

Re: I'll reiterate WTNuke's sentiments

Did a Penn State fan really have the audacity to write that?

17. blackandau

blackandau Master
    Expand Collapse

One of my son-in-laws has his PhD from PSU. He and my daughter attend games at both Happy Valley and Nashville. I am 75 and have since my childhood pulled for PSU because I thought they "did things the right way". There was nothing done in the right way in the signing of Franklin (direct contact before asking for permission, dragging out the contact all the while Franklin and staff being paid by VU but working behind VU's back contacting recruits). While at VU, Franklin lost some commits, here is what he had to say about them, "not a man of honesty or integrity, they settled for less, they will settle for less the rest of their life". I hate to say it but I fell for his snake oil, I believed him and in him, I now know he is both a liar and hypocrite. I feel this way not because he left, but how he left and what he is doing now. My son-in-law has had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. I have no respect for nor will I never pull for psu again. No big lost to psu fans or Franklin, neither of you care what the rest of the world thinks about you.