ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ideal candidate profile

9seroduv

Lieutendant Commander
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
The advantage Vanderbilt has is they still have the blueprint on what makes a successful football coach at VU. I suppose that’s what’s been so maddening the last few years is that seemed to have misplaced it when they hired Mason.

My view...the candidate doesn’t need to be offensive minded, defensive minded, etc. In fact I’d like someone with experience on both sides of the ball.

The candidate does not need prior head coaching experience. I’m not so sure it helps as much as some may think.

Really the candidate needs two things. An insatiable desire to coach at a Top 10-15 program and the balls of a cat burglar. The search firm should target the most ambitious, detail oriented, huge sacked coach they can find. That’s who Vanderbilt should want. They should want the dude who can recruit at a Top 30 level and wants to win 7-8 games over the next 2-3 seasons, moves on then rinse and repeat.

Football coaches for the most part aren’t the smartest lot. None of them are splitting the atom on their time off. The good ones, the really good ones and the great ones...they work hard and they’re efficient. You can figure out who those guys are if you’re asking the right questions. You can figure out the guys who are flashes in the pan, possibly winning because of a generational QB or something.

But my view, get the guy that’s hellbent at winning some football games at VU so he can become the next Notre Dame, Michigan or Alabama coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News