ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Corbin on the Wake Up Zone...

brokris849

Admiral
Apr 3, 2011
- Duke is good. We will have to play really well to stay with them. Hard to scout because you can’t gauge how much a hitter has improved over 12 months. But they sent a bunch of kids to the Cape Cod league and played really well and got the attention of scouts and pollsters and they are going to be very tough to beat.

- Starting pitching and defensive sets we are going to piggy back some kids and roll with some guys at the end until we can get starters to work deeper in the game and get more experience and ready for full games. May see some committee assignments.

- Young players and recruits: they’re personalities are brazen and confident but it’s not out of control. 12 of them played in a college baseball summer league. They don’t act overmatched by our upperclassmen. Personality has helped our older kids to blend. They’re a different breed but they’re not scared. They’re ready for the challenge and you can see that energy helping our team.

- Pitchung roles it’s handing off the baton. Smaller doses of opportunity for younger guys and then run your race and hand it off. Some freshmen have a special mind but what makes the difference is the ability to control their heartbeat and anxiousness between the white lines and that’s the kids we look for to build as we go.

- Getting down to 35 players. Hate it. I’ve been that guy. I was a division 3 player and I hope that helps me understand how it affects their spirit. But we have kids who used to sit behind home plate with my wife after being cut and then came back his sophomore year with a different perspective and made the team. That appreciation makes them a better leader. But I don’t even like having this conversation. It’s the worst part of coaching.

- Sonny: you grew up a Red Sox fan so I’m happy for him but i wouldn’t root for the Yankees unless he was there

- Coaches and teachers have realized the importance of relationships and trust and that’s more than just coaching. My experiences being a step parent is that you can’t force your way into kids who really don’t want you. You have to earn their trust and respect and love and then it becomes very good. Relationship based more than everything else. It’s how the Eagles won the super bowl. Point A to Point B is a relationship.

- When you can turn your team over to the group it’s the best. There comes a time when I’m driving and they are in the passenger seat and then one day you move over and let them have the wheel and then eventually they say hey dad. Thanks but I got this. That’s when you know you have a good team as a coach. And that’s my goal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.