Attending my first Vanderbilt basketball game....

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by UCF Kayaker, Dec 28, 2015.

1. UCF Kayaker

Expand Collapse

Hello. I moved to the area a couple of years ago and will be attending my first Vanderbilt basketball game on January 2nd! I hear the arena is very unique and am looking forward to checking it out.

I'm not overly familiar with the area, but was hoping to find a non-chain restaurant where we could eat before the game. Can anyone recommend a unique place to eat within walking distance of the stadium? I'll have my wife and five-year old with me, so I was looking for something that is family-friendly. Also, any advice when it comes to parking and which Section I should buy my seats in? Thanks!

2. Haptown

Haptown Lieutendant Commander
    Expand Collapse

Rotier's Restaurant is about as unique as you can get and just right off West End Ave on Elliston Place. Only on-street parking is available though. The french bread cheeseburger, fries, and choc shake is my favorite. Also very cold beer available.

Parking in the medical center lots on Natchez Trace and Vanderbilt Place is free and has plenty of space.

2 Haptown, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. UCF Kayaker

Expand Collapse

Great, thanks Haptown, just what I was looking for. Also appreciate the tip on the parking. Looking forward to checking out my first Vandy game!

4. doctordore

doctordore Admiral
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Welcome! And hope you enjoy the game! There is a good chance, since this will still be during the school break, that you can buy seats anywhere in the gym and just stroll right down into the student section, courtside (section G-K, I believe.) The ushers allow it when it's not a sell out and when students aren't there. Get there a bit early and just head into that section and find any seat available.

5. UCF Kayaker

Expand Collapse

Great tip, thanks Doc. We'll try that, can't beat courtside seats! We actually still have our courtside seats for UCF, but we sell them each year since we moved so far away. Hopefully this trick will work. Looking forward to rooting the 'Dores on!

6. kerrigjl

kerrigjl Moderator
    Expand Collapse

How was your experience?

7. UCF Kayaker

Expand Collapse

Kerrigil,
    We had a great time! We tried to hit Rotiers beforehand, but it was too crowded and didn't look much like a place where a five-year old should be, so we just headed to Logan's across the street (hate chain restaurants, but we were hungry). The place was packed, so we got to the game late. Still, LOVED how unique the arena floor-area was and was surprised how packed the arena was. The fans were great and very enthusiastic. One question on the arena, though. Did it used to a be a building with classrooms? I've never see such an odd layout to get to the 2nd and 3rd levels (no concourse going around, just a series of odd hallways corridors, and steps).

We'll be going back, as I'd like to check out a game that wasn't so packed (and where we can do a better job of planning for better seats). Just like the other Vandy games I've been to, the fans are fantastic and very friendly. Looking forward to attending my first baseball game in the Spring!

DoreMit likes this.