ADVERTISEMENT

Football **'Dores in the Pros (NFL) Weekly Update**

cmoore83

Admiral
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2016
Cookeville, TN
My intention was to have this out yesterday, as I said in the other thread, but I came down with a case of food poisoning Monday night and didn't feel like doing anything all day yesterday. I have provided recaps from NFL preseason week 2 for all of our former football players who recorded stats or had significant news items pertaining to them. As I mentioned in the VandyBoys thread, let me know how I can improve this, and/or what additional things you would like to see. Thanks for all the wonderful comments in Monday's thread!!

Perhaps the most legendary player to ever don a Vanderbilt football uniform, Jordan Matthews was only targeted once Monday night in his San Francisco 49ers preseason game versus the Denver Broncos. Matthews should not be overly concerned about his showing, as the 49ers only had 93 total yards of passing and their leading pass catcher, Raheem Mostert, only had two receptions for 42 yards, against a stout Denver defense.

Second year Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Trent Sherfield only caught one pass in Thursday night’s primetime preseason matchup with the Oakland Raiders, however he made it count as the reception went for 40 yards and a touchdown. Sherfield looks to gain a roster spot once again and hopes to be a favorite target for 2019’s top draft pick Kyler Murray.

Second year cornerback for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Tre Herndon was credited with one tackle and a pass break up in Thursday’s preseason loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Ooltewah, Tennessee native looks to once again make the Jaguars 53 man roster and be a key contributor on the defensive unit.

Record setting former Commodore quarterback Kyle Shurmur completed four of his nine pass attempts for a total of 29 yards in Saturday’s preseason matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The undrafted Shurmur is competing with Chad Henne and Chase Litton for the right to backup starting quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Undrafted rookie fullback Khari Blasingame scored a one yard touchdown late in the Minnesota Vikings Sunday primetime matchup with the Seattle Seahawks. The undrafted rookie free agent continues to impress with a touchdown in both of Minnesota’s preseason matchups. Blasingame continues to contribute as a run blocker as well.

Oren Burks continues to battle injuries, having not played since week one of the preseason versus the Houston Texans where he recorded one solo tackle in Green Bay’s 28-26 victory. The second year linebacker looks to build on a rookie season in which he saw action in 14 games, registering 18 tackles.

After being waived by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dare Odeyingbo was claimed off of waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals.

Rookie second round pick of the New England Patriots JoeJuan Williams was back in Nashville on Saturday for a preseason matchup versus the Tennessee Titans. The former Commodore standout recorded two tackles as well as two pass break ups. His play caught the attention of former NFL Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson, who said on Twitter that Williams is going to be a “special player.”

Williams was not the only former Commodore to see action inside Nissan Stadium Saturday night, Ladarius Wiley and Josh Smith both got on the field in the second half. While neither player registered a tackle, both Wiley and Smith made for good storylines. Smith signed with the Titans just a day earlier, and Wiley signed with the Titans as an undrafted free agent shortly after the conclusion of April’s draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News