ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Despite the less than desirable result, I saw some things I liked

VUMatt23

Admiral
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2018
Y’all know I’m not a big homer or Stack lover, so when I say these things it’s not out of blind optimism

-I first want to say that I’m not happy with the result and it definitely doesn’t have me feeling great

-so happy Ezra is not seriously injured, he’s a stud

- I like what Colin has done. Back to back double
doubles from him. He hasn’t shown as much overall offensive game as we may have liked, but I think he can be a really good 3rd option

- Taylor had a solid game tonight. I think he’ll work really well as a 4th or 5th option

- I also liked what I saw from Lewis. He ran the offense and hit some big shots with Ezra out. I really want to see what he looks like with Tyrin in the lineup because Paul’s a good catch and shoot guy and Tyrin can drive and kick to him

- West and Rivera-Torres are the two freshman that can help right now. West looks great. Like @VandyFan_23 pointed out, he looks under control and that’s a good sign for a young guard. He’s got a solid all around game and is an SEC athlete. JRT has a lot of skill. He kind of does his own thing at times but I’m interested to see him play more with Ezra and/or Tyrin

-JQ and Malik are athletic but those guys don’t give you much on offense right now. I don’t think either plays much when the bigs get back

-I’ve had the opinion for months that Lang is probably a mid major player. When Dort and Lubin are back I think he should be out of the rotation entirely outside of massive foul trouble

-I’ll say the same for Kamateros. He can shoot, but when he’s not hitting he shouldn’t be in the game. I’m fine giving him 10 minutes a night but he’s not a center

- I actually like the group of Manjon-West-Smith-Taylor-West-JRT. I think the hole at the 5 is so massive right now and we saw that tonight with CA getting easy buckets at the rim and rebounding well against us.

-I don’t think Lubin and Dort are studs, but those guys are at least SEC level athletes and that puts them far above what we’re trotting out at center

-I’m not sure this team can make the NCAA tourney, but I’ll at least give them some benefit of the doubt til they get the bigs and Tyrin back. They should be really helped defensive and rebounding wise when the bigs return, and Tyrin should really help open things up for our shooters as well as give us another guy that can get a bucket from anywhere when we need it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News